A policy change

History Review
6 Riverside Drive
Ottawa
Canada
Dear Sirs,
In answer to your letter of 20 December 1996, I regret to inform you that we no longer control the rights to the Bruce Photographic Collection.
From 1 January of this year, reproduction rights passed to Historic Photos Inc. of 7 Third Avenue, New York. You should now address to them all your enquiries concerning the photos you require.
I have forwarded your letter to the new agency, which will be expecting an enquiry from you.
Yours faithfully,

Useful phrases
Line 1
I regret to inform you that we no longer control the rights to . . .
Line 4
You should now address to them all your enquiries concerning . . .
Line 6
I have forwarded your letter to ... which (who) will be expecting an enquiry from you.

Notes
Para. 1
Indicate the change.
Para. 2
State who now controls the rights.
Para. 3
Say what you have done.
Comments
This is a helpful reply to a request which cannot be fulfilled. It will save the person making the enquiry trouble and time.
Alternative phrases
Line 1  I refer to your letter . . .
Line 1  I am sorry to tell you . . .
Line 3  ... Historic Photos . . . acquired the reproduction rights.
Line 4  You should now contact them for . . .
Line 6  I have passed your letter on . .


Popular Posts